Target of Opportunity (ToO)
Contentshttps://www.ucolick.org/main/science/observers/opportunitypolicy.html Key elements:
- The scheduled observer is only required to execute one ToO program per night (the first program to request).
- Scheduled observers will be able to briefly negotiate when to take the observations (e.g. to delay until completion of a current exposure, if necessary, or to optimally schedule the requested ToO observation), but they are discouraged from questioning the scientific merits of these TAC-approved programs.
- A Lick ToO program may request up to one hour of clock time. The one hour per night is actual clock time from the termination of the scheduled observer's own program and includes the overhead for the observer to configure the instrument for the ToO observation and to reconfigure the instrument to resume the scheduled program.
- Coauthorship on a resulting paper will be offered to the observing team.
- Groups that have purchased telescope time are exempt from ToO interrupts.
- Format: pdf / jpg / png.
- Adopt astronomical convention (North = up, East = Left).
- Field-of-view no greater than 4 arcminutes on-a-side.
- A scale bar should be embedded in the finder, or scale should be indicated in observing instructions.
- Approved program identifier from which the time shall be debited (e.g. of the form 201X_SXXX).
- Target name/identifier.
- Target Right Ascension (R.A.), 2000.0 equinox.
- Target Declination (Dec.), 2000.0 equinox.
Observing Instructions: For the benefit of the observer
delegated to take observations. Include:
- Instrument configuration (e.g. Red: Grating=600/7500; Grating Tilt=10200. Blue: Grism=452/3306).
- Special acquisition instructions (e.g. description of source, magnitude estimate).
- Requested exposure time(s).
- Calibration and standard source requirements (e.g. specify identity, R.A. (2000.0), Dec (2000.0), exposure time(s) of standard sources; preferred number of flat field, bias and arc frames, etc.).
- Name of person activating: this should correspond to a member of the collaboration listed in the original proposal.
- Electronic mail address of person activating: this should be valid throughout the validity period of the activation.
- Contact telephone number of person activating: this should be valid throughout the validity period of the activation.
- For non-sidereal targets (e.g. comets, asteroids, etc.): Ephemerides (ASCII text) should be provided. UT intervals should be 00:20. Additional velocities (δRA, δDec) should be provided in arcseconds per hour.
For targets fainter than 17th magnitude,
details of at least one (preferably more) offset guide
star(s) brighter than 17th magnitude located within a few
arcminutes of the target must be provided, e.g.
- Offset Guide Star name/identifier.
- Offset Guide Star Right Ascension (R.A.), 2000.0 equinox.
- Offset Guide Star Declination (Dec.), 2000.0 equinox.
- R.A. Telescope Offset from Guide Star.
- Dec. Telescope Offset from Guide Star.
- Acknowledge receipt of Target of Opportunity request.
- Verify feasibility.
- Establish a validity period.
- Liase with the scheduled observer who to undertake observations on behalf of the ToO program as delegates or co-opted members of the ToO collaboration.
- Record the time spent on Target of Opportunity observations (including telescope slew time and acquisition object, shutter open time and any standard/calibration specific to the Target of opportunity.
- To aid time accounting, all communications and progress regarding Targets of Opportunity should be updated to the pre-existing report corresponding the specific program and Principle Investigator for the current observing period.
UCO/Lick Observations: YYYY-MM-DD; Inst=Shane+Kast; PI=Name; Prog=YYYYB_SXXX OBSERVING SUMMARY ================= Program ..... YYYYB_SXXX Observers ... Date ........ YYYY-MM-DD Weather ..... Transparency=THN/CLR; RH=XX per cent Seeing ...... (e.g. Circa 1.00 arcsec) Comment ..... Data ........ FILE(S) CONFIGURATION DESCRIPTION UT(START) T_EXP/s AIRMASS COMMENT ============= =================== ================== ========= ======= ======= ==================== CALIBRATIONS (Bias, Arc, Flat)... b0900--b0909 600/7500;Tilt-10200 He+Hg+Cd+Ar Arc 17:15 20.0 1.00 Aperture 1.0 arcsec b0910--b0919 600/7500;Tilt-10200 Dome Flat 17:25 30.0 1.00 Sup_Blue 80 percent b0920--b0929 N/A Bias 17:35 0.0 1.00 Conf: Shutter close ------------- ------------------- ------------------ --------- ------- ------- -------------------- SCIENCE (Target, Standard)... b1022--b1023 600/7500;Tilt=10200 TOO=SN2020os 22:38 600.0 1.50 Mislabelled Sn2019os ------------- ------------------- ------------------ --------- ------- ------- -------------------- === END OF FILE ===Contact a support astronomer if you need more information that is not included in this manual.
Support Astronomers Last modified: 2018-02-02